An accomplished business professional with a background in experimental science and advanced degrees in science and in business, I help organizations save time and money. I design and build innovative solutions, and lead international teams, using information technologies to increase productivity, enhance collaboration, and improve the quality of data and decisions. My international experience and dual competencies in business and in technology make me uniquely qualified to improve collaboration between functions and/or different cultures within organizations.
Qualities: Achievement oriented • Analytical • Articulate • Attentive to detail • Collaborative • Creative • Facilitator • Highly organized • Lifelong learner • Problem solver • Strategic • Systems-minded • Dual citizenship USA/UK
Leadership & Change Management
- Co-founded the nonprofit corporation Illustrative Mathematics and implemented the technology, systems and processes for web development, accounting, payroll, employee benefits and HR administration. Facilitated growth over three years from 0 to 26 employees in 19 states and 2 countries and from $2 M to $5 M in annual revenues.
- Chaired the Cross Pharma HPC group – an industry forum for sharing non-proprietary information and best practices for High Performance Computing in the Life Sciences.
- Pioneered Agile development methods for end-users and software engineers resulting in faster development cycles and increased end-user satisfaction with products. Initially for project management in Pharmaceutical R&D, and subsequently in a nonprofit startup. Achieved by facilitating quarterly workshops and implementing Agile tools and processes.
Finance & Accounting
Developed and managed budgets. Performed daily accounting and monthly financial reporting to management and to the board. As CFO and COO of a nonprofit organization I oversaw annual external audits of our financial statements and Form 990 returns to the IRS.
Teaching & Volunteering
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (IRS VITA Program) in the role of Tax Preparer since 2022
- Tutored first generation low income college students under a grant-funded program with the overall goal of community college graduation and transfer to a four-year institution.
- Tutored adult basic literacy as a volunteer with the nonprofit organization Literacy Connects.
- Created new teams from scratch including hiring, developing and managing people, in France and in the USA. My teams built laboratory systems, implemented chemical and biological databases, and provided workflow tools and high performance computing to researchers in the life sciences who had had no such support previously.
- Directed managers located internationally to lead their teams to define, develop, implement and support information management solutions in support of pharmaceutical drug discovery at 16 sites worldwide.
- Led a cross-functional technical workgroup on High Performance Computing (HPC) which developed long-term technical strategies for HPC and advised on implementation at the request of senior management.
- Led the development and implementation of a chemical information management system that supported planning for parallel synthesis, as well as the worldwide registration of libraries, experiments, compounds, and batches. The process and system were implemented at 4 research sites in 3 countries and replaced 5 different legacy systems, resulting in savings of over ten million dollars and a huge increase in the quality of data used in drug discovery.
- Led the investigation into Cloud Computing for Pharmaceutical R&D, resulting in a successful proof-of-concept for on-demand computing using Amazon Web Services.
- Co-authored 18 scientific papers, 9 scientific communications and 8 conference proceedings.
- Co-responsible for the development of an international service Neutron Diffractometer equipped with a Position Sensitive Detector for protein crystallography. These developments decreased the time taken and increased the resolution (quality) of experimental results for visiting research scientists from all over the world.
- Discovered a simple mathematical formula – a scalar triple product – for the Lorentz correction to Bragg intensities, allowing a completely general correction that is valid for any scan through a general out-of-plane reflection and a corresponding minimization of experimental errors.
Native English, fluent French, some German
CENTER FOR ECONOMIC INTEGRITY, Tucson, AZ
- Controller & Communications Director, 2018 – present
PIMA COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Tucson, AZ
- Staff Instructor, Project GReAT, 2017 – 2018
- Chief Financial Officer & Chief Operating Officer, 2014 – 2017
- Chief Information Officer, 2012 – 2014
- Board Treasurer, 2012-2017
OPAL CONSULTING LLC, Tucson, AZ
- Principal, 2012 – present
SANOFI-AVENTIS, Tucson, AZ then Bridgewater, NJ
- Enterprise Architect & Strategic Business Consultant, 2010 – 2012
- Director of Scientific Information Systems, 2000 – 2009
SELECTIDE INC., Tucson, AZ
- Senior Manager of R&D Information Systems, 1996 – 1999
MARION MERRELL DOW RESEARCH INSTITUTE, Strasbourg, France
- Manager of R&D Information Systems, 7 years
INSTITUT MAX VON LAUE-PAUL LANGEVIN (ILL), Grenoble, France
- Physicien / Research Scientist, 5 years
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA, Eller School of Management, Tucson, AZ
- MBA – I took the two-year, 60-credit course while working full time
UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL, Bristol, England, UK
- PhD – for the structure determinations of a dozen inter-related organometallic complexes by X-Ray diffraction under the supervision of Dr. P. Woodward and Professor F.G.A. Stone
- B.Sc. Chemistry – In my final year I took courses in Biochemistry, Pure Math, Computer Science and a research project in Crystallography which resulted in a scientific publication
- Identified as a “future leader” in 2003 and awarded with executive training for one week at Wharton business school in Philadelphia, PA and one week at INSEAD, France.